St Agnes is a large village on the north coast of Cornwall about five miles north of Redruth and ten miles southwest of Newquay.
1837: The earliest date we have for a St Agnes Band event is the laying of the foundation stone for the British School in British Road, St Agnes. (St Agnes 1001-1999)
1843: St Agnes Band played at the annual festival of Mingoose School. (30th June 1843 West Briton)
1852: St Agnes Amateur Brass Band at the Inn at Mithian. (Hamilton Jenkin – Perranporth area pg 47)
1852: St Agnes, and Falmouth Philharmonic Bands played. (3 September 1852 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
1852: St Agnes Amateur Brass Band enlivened the church town by their masterly performance. (3 December 1852 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
1853: “This district was visited on Tuesday the 12th instant, by a deputation of gentlemen from London, to witness the setting to work of a new thirty-inch cylinder steam engine, on Perran Wheal Jane. It was made at the factory of Messrs Sandys, Vivian and Co. in their usual style of excellence, and has a nine feet stroke, and equal beam. Mr Thomas James, of St Agnes, is the engineer. The deputation also visited Perran Wheal Alfred, Prince Alfred Consols, and Wheal Kitty. All these mines have been recently set to work by the deputation and their co-adventurers, under the management of Capt. John Davies, of St Agnes. The deputation then adjourned to Pearce’s Hotel, St Agnes, where they entertained the agents and a party of friends to a dinner comprising every delicacy of the season, and which was served up in Mrs Pearce’s usual satisfactory manner. The village bells rang merry peals during the day, and the evening was enlivened by the performances of the St Agnes Amateur Brass Band; the deputation regaled the tradesmen and miners employed in Perran Wheal Jane and Perran Wheal Alfred, with a substantial dinner of roast beef, plum pudding, &c., at the inn kept by Mr Letcher, at Mithian. The next day the deputation went underground at Wheal Kitty and the other mines, and were greatly pleased with the discoveries made, and the promising state of the mines generally.” (WB 22nd April 1853)
1853: St Agnes Brass Band played at a Chacewater event. (John Brush)
1862: St Agnes Band played at Truro District lodge event. (18 July 1862 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
1868: Perranzabuloe and St Agnes Brass Bands, marched to the parish church. (2 July 1868 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
1872: St Agnes Band at t he annual demonstration of the St Agnes Lodge of Oddfellows. (29 June 1872 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
1872: St Agnes Brass Band at St Agnes New Connexion Sunday school. (13 July 1872 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
1873: St Agnes Brass Band at the annual demonstration of the St. Agnes Lodge of Oddfellows. (26 June 1873 – West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser)
1877: St Agnes Brass Band played at intervals. (20 April 1877 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
1878: St Agnes Brass Band at a lodge event. (16 August 1878 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
1879: St Agnes Brass Band, promenaded the town. (3 July 1879 – West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser)
1880: St Agnes Brass Band [whose performance, might have sounded to more advantage in a larger building] … (2 April 1880 – Royal Cornwall Gazette”
1881: St Agnes Red Coats Brass Band active. (John Brush) This may indicate the demise of the earlier band, simply a change of uniform colour or that there were two bands in the village at this time.
1881: Joseph Roberts, St Agnes Red Coats Brass Band MD.
1881: St Agnes Brass Band in crimson and gold. (16 June 1881 – Cornishman)
1881: “Oddfellowship at St. Agnes. On Friday the memorial stones of a new Oddfellows Hall were laid at St Agnes. The lodge has hitherto been held at the Plume of Feathers, but its success has warranted the purchase of a piece of land on the Vicarage Road of Mr Enys, of Enys, and here a building is to be erected from plans prepared by Bro B. King, P.G., of a plain character the dimensions being 60 feet by 33 feet The hall is to be built with Body’s stone, with Carnmarth granite dressings. There will be two anterooms and the hall will be fitted up so that entertainment may be given in it if required. The hall will seat comfortably 300 people. There is to be a beautiful approach to the building, with a shrubbery on either side. On Friday the members of the Lodge met in the morning, and marched in procession, headed by the St Agnes brass band, under the direction of Mr Joseph Roberts, to the building site, where the first stone was laid by Bro John Peters, one of the oldest members of the Order. The second stone was to have been laid by Bro G C Hancock who, however, was detained in London on business. Bro I. Rowse regretted the absence of Mr Hancock, and introduced Master G. C. Hancock, Bro Hancock’s little son, who laid the stone on behalf of his father. Both Bro Peters and Master Hancock were presented with silver trowels bearing an inscription. A dinner was subsequently provided for the members by Mr Richard Hancock, of the Plume of Feathers Inn in a spacious marquee in a field at Trevaunance, kindly lent by Mr C. Twite. … The Rev E. L. Salisbury, in responding, remarked the objects of the Oddfellows’ society was to promote good fellowship, good brotherhood, and goodwill, and those were the three objects which Christian ministers should endeavour to promote. There were, no doubt, many there who derived some practical benefit from the society, but there was something higher than pounds, shillings, and pence. There seemed to be a bond of unity and sympathy and brotherhood between them, with which he had been much struck. This was not only so at home, but these same feelings were exhibited towards those abroad. This was of great value to a people, and he wished the society every success. The Chairman proposed “The Army Navy, and Volunteers,” Bro Whitly briefly responded on behalf of the Volunteers and suggested that an Artillery Volunteers Corps might be formed at St Agnes with advantage. … Not only would the new hall be an ornament to the town and useful to them as Oddfellows, but he believed it was intended to establish a reading- room in connection with it. He would like to see resuscitated the St Agnes Minors’ and Mechanics’ Institute in some form or other. As Oddfellows they would have no objection to let out their hall for public entertainments, and he hoped this would encourage their friends to avail themselves of the privilege the hall would afford them for this purpose. … The Chairman gave “The Staple Industries of the County — Mining and Agriculture.” Bio I. Rowse responded to the toast, and said he hoped he should never live to see the day when the miners of St Agues would have to undergo such depression and privation as they bad two or three years ago. … Mr John Hitchens’ health was proposed in eulogistic terms, by Mr I Rowe. Three cheers were also given for Mr Hitchens, who, in responding, said he was always pleased to do all he could for the welfare of his fellow parishioners. The Vice-Chairman, and Bro. E. King, the contractor, having been toasted, three cheers were given for the Chairman, and the meeting was concluded. Sports were afterwards indulged in, and a very enjoyable evening was spent.” (1 July 1881 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
1880s: Charles Chegwyn was born in 1869 and later reports will show that he had a long and faithful service with the brass bands of St Agnes – seemingly 73 years. As this would place his start date as 1882 it seems likely that he made his debut with the St Agnes (Redcoats) Band. Much later, in 1955, he recalled an unusual, and amusing, incident when he was a youngster. “In the 1880s, we had we had small bands of about ten to a dozen oddly assorted instruments. Often, these were already so old that we had to stop them up with soap to prevent air leaking. I mind this dodge worked well until one day, when on the march, it started to rain and before long we were all blowing bubbles!” (Cornish Guardian 16th June 1955)
1883: St Agnes Brass Band at the annual Sunday school tea treat. (15 June 1883 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
1883: “We have wealth of music just now in St. Agnes, Three bands contribute to our enjoyment in this direction. The old-established and popular brass band [the Red coats] holds the even tenor of its way; the drum and fife band is really improving; whilst the string band shows precision and ease in the performance of quadrille music” (6 September 1883 – Cornishman)
1883: “A new brass band is in the course of formation at St Agnes, and an appeal for public support is being made to the music-loving inhabitants. Mr Samuel Argall. Jun., is the chosen bandmaster.” (Cornubia and Redruth Times 21st September1883)
Considering the report of the 6th September the number of bands in St Agnes then numbered four. This latest addition was known as St Agnes Independent Brass Band.
1884: St Agnes Brass Band (Red Coats) at Chacewater. (11 July 1884 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
1884: St Agnes (Redcoats) Band, under Capt. J Roberts at Grand County Wrestling Matches at Truro. (18 July 1884 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
1884 to 1887: St Agnes Red Coats Brass Band contesting under Joseph Roberts. (Contest archive)
1884: St Agnes Independent Band at Goonown Wesleyan Sunday School Anniversary. (1 August 1884 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
1885: St Agnes Brass and Independent bands paraded the streets. (23 January 1885 – RCG)
1885: St Agnes Independent Band at a Teetotal fete at Mount Hawke. (29 May 1885 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
1885: “The Independent brass band was engaged on Monday at Ladock. The St. Agnes brass band this season have become possessed of new uniforms – red coats forage caps, braided with silver lace: a very neat and appropriate dress.” (11 June 1885 – Cornishman)
1885: Both St Agnes brass bands were engaged on Saturday, the Independents being at Perranporth, and the Red Coats at Bridge. (RCG 10th July 1885)
The existence of two bands in the village must have caused some confusion as on one occasion they were both booked for the same engagement, at Rejerrah. It seems that neither would give way so one played in the field and the other outside. It is not recorded which band received the fee!!
1885: St Agnes Brass Band at Newquay Regatta. (28 August 1885 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
1886: St Agnes (Red Coat) Band at the Christmas-tree. (8 January 1886 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
1886: St Agnes Independent Brass Band at Rejerrow (sic). (30 April 1886 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
1886: Redcoats at the band-contest at Newquay. (17 June 1886 – Cornishman)
1886: “On Saturday last the annual tea treat of the Carnkie Wesleyan Sunday school was held in the school-yard. The children afterwards adjourned to a field adjoining the chapel, lent by Mrs Jeffery. St Agnes Independent Brass Band was engaged for the occasion. During the evening the Carnkie Fife and Drum Band came on the scene and started tunes in opposition to those played by the St Agnes Band. These proceedings were productive of much amusement.” (25 June 1886 – Cornubian and Redruth Times)
1886: St Agnes Red Coats Band at the County Wrestling Matches at Victoria Square, Truro. (23 July 1886 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
St Agnes Red Coat Band contested during the 1880s and was reasonably successful including against St Agnes Independent Brass Band.
1886: The band in the last six years has won two firsts and one second prize in band contests. (30 December 1886 – Cornishman)
1886: Last discovered reference to St Agnes Independent Brass Band. (John Brush)
1887: St Agnes Brass Band at he Queen’s Jubilee at Mithian. (17 June 1887 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
1887: St Agnes Brass Band at St Agnes Regatta. (26 August 1887 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
1897 or possibly later: St Agnes Red Coat Band disbanded. (John Brush)
Early 1900s: St Agnes Independent Band disbanded. (John Brush) Strange, considering the 1886 statement.
April 1902: Goonown Brass Band formed. (John Brush)
1902 – 2nd June: At the end of the Boar War: “Goonown Brass Band provided the music and was followed by hundreds of villagers.” (A Millennium Chronicle by Frank Carpenter)
1902: “For some weeks the young men of Goonown have been busy organising a Brass Band, with a view to participating in the local Coronation celebrations. They have devoted much time and trouble in the undertaking and such was the progress made during the comparatively short period they had been together, that their services were cordially requisitioned for the impromptu torchlight procession on the evening for Peace-day. What might otherwise have been a dull and unrecognised event, was, by their enterprise and industry, transformed into a pleasurable, and not-soon-to-be-forgotten occasion. The demonstration on Saturday evening arose out of some remarks made by the local correspondent of a Camborne contemporary, which were regarded by the band not only disparaging their reputation, but positively insulting. Immediately after the conclusion the Philanthropic fete the band, preceded by persons bearing torches, and accompanied by an effigy, to which was attached a copy of the publication in which the comments appeared, paraded the principal streets. Halts were made at Churchtown and Peterville, and, to the strains of sweet music, lusty cheers were raised for the band by the enormous crowd which had assembled, while the effigy and the name of the newspaper were everywhere met with shouts of derision. The proceedings, which wore very animated, were kept up until nearly midnight, when a downpour of rain damped the ardour the enthusiastic demonstrators.” (19 June 1902 – West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser)
The last report suggests that Goonown Brass Band was formed during a period when St Agnes had no band.
1902: “It is interesting to note that Goonown Brass Band have been accorded prominent position in the Coronation procession on Thursday. They will also play conspicuous part in the carnival in the evening.” (26 June 1902 – West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser)
1904: “…St Agnes Brass Band was in attendance. The game was well contested and the match ended in a draw.” (21 April 1904 – Royal Cornwall Gazette) Confusingly, the name of St Agnes Brass Band has reappeared despite the apparent presence of the band at Goonown. Could it have been a short revival or is the newspaper reporter’s pencil at fault again. Whatever the reason, this may well have been the last public engagement by this band.
1907 October: St Agnes Town Band. “It is rumoured a brass band is to be started immediately [at St Agnes]. We hear a drummer has been secured and a good drummer, it is said, goes a long way to making a band.” (RCG 5th September 1907)
1907: John Paull (the convener of the meeting), seconded by Mr William Roberts, – resolved to form a band, to be known as the St Agnes Town Brass Band with John Paull as bandmaster. (12 September 1907 – West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser)
1907 – September: St Agnes Town Band re-formed.
1907: John Paull, a cornet player of some merit, formed the band with a small number of experienced players to which he added young players he had trained.
1907 to 1911: John Paull, St Agnes Town Band’s first MD.
Probably the first formal photograph of the re-formed St Agnes Town Band, in 1908
Back row: ? Rogers (Committee), Joe Northey, Alfie Solomon, Sidney Williams, Joe Pope “Popey”, Jim Lutle (doubtful spelling), Billance Henwood,
Victor Trezise, Dick Higgins, Clem Wills, Geo Capt, Arthur Jones (Committee)
Front row: Fred Wills, Charlie Chegwyn, S C Hancock (Committee), John Paul (Band master), Fred Jones, Herbert Wills
(Photo: unknown / Names: courtesy Clive Benney)
1908: St Agnes Town Band open for engagements. (6 February 1908 – West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser)
1908 – 6th February: St Agnes Band’s first public appearance. (6 February 1908 – West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser)
1908: The Oddfellows Hall was crowded on Saturday evening for the first concert of the newly-formed St Agnes Town Band. The band, formed in September last, has made great headway under the energetic conductorship of Mr. John Paull. (13 February 1908 – Cornubian and Redruth Times)
1908: St Agnes Town Band gave a concert at Mithian Council School. (5 March 1908 – West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser)
1908: St Agnes Town Band, under John Paull, at Mithian annual demonstration. (21 May 1908 – Cornubian and Redruth Times)
1908: St Agnes Philharmonic Band, under Mr. John Paul, gave, a concert at Zelah. on Tuesday. Solos by C Chegwyn and J. Northey. (28 May 1908 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
1908: St Agnes Wesleyan tea treat, St Agnes and Camborne played together at Churchtown (Photo: courtesy Clive Benney collection)
St Agnes chapel tea treat, St Agnes and Camborne played together at various points. (Photo: courtesy Clive Benney collection)
St Agnes Town Band 1908 (Photo: courtesy Clive Benney Collection)
Back row: Harry Robins (MD from 1911), Alfred Solomon (who was probably a later MD), Joe Pope, Victor Trezise, Clem Wills
Middle row: Joe Northy, Unknown, Unknown, Mr Hoskin, Dick James, Herbert Wills
Front row: Fred Wills, Charles Chegwyn, John Paul the first MD, J H Robert, Edgar Jones
Seated: Unknown, Billince Henwood
1908: “Mithian Band of Hope Sunday School tea, on Saturday, was attended by the St Agnes Town Band, under John Paull.”
(18 June 1908 – West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser) (Photo: courtesy Clive Benney collection)
1908 St Agnes Band (Photo: courtesy Clive Benney collection)
Many bands received bookings by word of mouth but it is always good practice to confirm the details by letter. It will probably include the location, the date and time and what was expected of the band. This has always been the case but at one time it would have included a more unusual stipulation: the number of players who would be taking part. On one occasion, and I believe that it involved St Agnes Band, a player fell ill and no replacement could be found. The solution was to hand his instrument to a non-playing relative and tell him to pretend that he was playing. All went well until a boy, slurping on an ice-cream, wandered over. “Ere, he idn playing,” he shouted to which the conductor responded with, “Clear off you little bugger!”
1908: St Agnes Town Band sports held to raise money to pay for instruments.
1908: “… Crosscoombe Primitive Methodist Sunday school, … held their annual tea on Saturday. St Agnes Town Band and … Band was engaged, but the weather had a damping affect on the enjoyment of the young folk.” (16 July 1908 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
1908: St Agnes Town Band (under Bandmaster Paull) at St Agnes for the Philanthropic, Oddfellows, and Rechabite lodges. (6 August 1908 – Cornubian and Redruth Times)
1908: “Sports were held at St. Agnes on Saturday to pay off the debt on the large instruments for the newly-formed Town Band. Save for a shower in the afternoon, the weather was ideal for sports, and nearly 1,000 people paid for admission. …” (27 August 1908 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
1908: “St Agnes Regatta – St Agnes Town Band, under Mr J Paull, played. (10 September 1908 – West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser)
1908 circa – Ernie Pearce (Monty Pearce’s father). Some time later he joined Carharrack and St Day where he learned to play tenor trombone. He later re-joined St Agnes Town Band and played either trombone or euphonium.
1908: For the new band, finance must have been an important consideration and a sports day was arranged in which the public, and the band, took part.
(Photo: courtesy Clive Benney Collection)
A sports day to raise funds (Photo: courtesy Clive Benney collection)
St Agnes Town Band 1909
St Agnes Town Band 1909 (Photo: courtesy Clive Benney collection)
St Agnes Town Band at St Agnes Wesleyan tea treat in 1909 (Photo: courtesy Clive Benney collection)
1909: St Agnes Town Band under John Paul at Beacon Wesleyan tea (RCG 24th June 1909)
St Agnes Town Band at Mithian tea treat 1908-1912 (Photo: courtesy Clive Benney collection)
St Agnes Town Band taking a rest from playing as they march up Rosemundy Hill, St Agnes in 1910 (Photo: courtesy Clive Benney collection)
1911: John Paull, St Agnes Town Band’s first MD, resigned after only four years because of ill health.
1911: Harry Robins, a good cornet player, St Agnes Town Band MD.
1911: St Agnes Town Band (under Bandmaster Harry Robins) contributed an excellent programme. Mr. Chegwyn, the handyman, of the band, contributed. (23 February 1911 – Royal Cornwall Gazette)
St Agnes Town Band on the 22nd June 1911 on the occasion of the Coronation of King George V. Jack Salmon is the cornet player on the left of the back row and Alf Roberts and Joe Northey are on the right on tenor horns. (Photo: courtesy Clive Benney collection)
(Photo: courtesy Clive Benney)
1911: St Agnes Town Band contesting under Harry Robins. (Contest archive)
1912: St Agnes Silver Band competed at the first West of England Bandsmen’s Festival at Bugle.
Circa 1912: St Agnes Band in Churchtown, St Agnes (Photo: Solway – courtesy Clive Benney)
St Agnes Town Band in 1913
Mithian tea treat 1914 (Photo: Caddy courtesy Clive Benney)
St Agnes Town Band on the 4th August 1914, the day Britain declared war on Germany. It commemorates a win at Truro Band Contest.
Back row: Unknown, Mr John Angwin, unknown, Joseph Pope, Mr Jones, and Mr Harold Rogers
Second row: Arthur Rowe, Mr Roberts, Harry Peters, Mr Newton, Joe Northey, Mr Roberts, Victor Tregise, Edgar Jolly
Front row: Joe Tamblyn, Edgar Jones, Mr Wills, Captain Dick Watters, Sergeant Robins (MD), Captain Prisk, Mr Fred Jones, Charles Chygrin
The names are as they appeared in the West Briton except that the third and fourth in the back row have been reversed following advice from Peter (Nick) Thomas, Joseph Pope’s great-grandson (Photo: Clive Benney Collection)
1914: St Agnes Silver Band at Mithian Band of Hope (Photo: Caddy courtesy Geoff Osborne)
1915: St Agnes Town Band present at the Anniversary of Declaration. (12 August 1915 – West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser)
1916 circa: St Agnes Town Band disbanded during WWI.
1919: St Agnes Town Band re-formed.
1919 to 1923 or later: A Solomon, St Agnes Town Band MD.
1919: St Agnes Town Band played at Mithian, Trevellas and Cross Coombe Peace Celebrations. (RCG 10th August 1919 pg 4)
1921: St Agnes Town Band under Mr A Solomon, was in attendance. (18 July 1921 – Western Morning News)
St Agnes Town Band in the early 1920s (Photo: courtesy Clive Benney Collection)
1922: The band room relocated from the corn store in Peterville to St Agnes Church Hall.
St Agnes Town Band circa 1922
Charlie Chegwyn and future MD Frank Moore seated each end of the centre row
1923: The retreat was formally opened with music provided St Agnes Town Band, under the conductorship of Bandmaster A Solomon. (17 May 1923 – West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser)
1923: At the age of 51, the death occurred at North Hill, Blackwater, on Thursday [12th May], of Mr. Alfred Joseph Roberts. He had been ill only a short time and in earlier life was engaged in mining in South Africa. Returning to St. Agnes (from whence he came back to Blackwater), he followed agriculture and was thus engaged up to the time of his death. He played the tenor horn in St. Agnes Town Band. (WB and CA, 14th, 17th May 1923).
St Agnes Town Band at the opening of Friendly Retreat 12th May 1923 (Photo: courtesy Clive Benney collection)
1923: Joseph Northey, who is 70 years of age, still plays in the St Agnes Town Band, of which he was one of the foundation members. (28 August 1923 – Western Morning News)
1924 circa to 1928: Harry Robins St Agnes Town Band MD again. (not verified)
St Agnes Town Band 1926
Nineteen year-old Frank Moore is second left front row. Frank Kneebone is in the middle row, extreme right and, of course, Charlie Chegwyn is present (front row on right, holding his bass). (Photo: courtesy Clive Benney collection)
1928: F Cecil Langford St Agnes Town Band MD.
1929: St Agnes Town Band constitution introduced.
St Agnes Town Band at the 1929 St Agnes Church fete (Photo: courtesy Clive Benney Collection)
St Agnes Town Band at the 1929 St Agnes Church fete (Photo: courtesy Clive Benney Collection)
Included in photo: Leslie Moore, Austin Tremain, Alfie Solomon, Mr Rogers, Mr Trezise, Uncle Arthur, Gerald Moore, Joe Tamlin, Frank Moore (euphonium on right), George Repper, Jack Salmon, Tommy Evans, Russell Roberts, Frank Kneebone (seated second from left), Captain Keast, Father Brown, Cecil Langford (MD),
Ronald Luke, Charlie Chegwyn (seated right)
1931: St Agnes Town Band, under Mr C Langford, at St Michaels Penkivel. (23 June 1931 – Western Morning News)
Perranporth and St Agnes Bands, under Mr H Robins and Mr Langford, gave a concert at Perranporth. (30 August 1932 – Western Morning News)
1932: St Agnes Town Band contesting under Edwin J Williams. (Contest archive)
St Agnes Town Band 1930s
Back Row: Alfie Kneebone, Ron Luke, Ron Jeffrey, John Sandercock, Unknown, Cecil Tremain.
Middle Row: Vic Trezise, Fletcher Grigg, Ruben Repper, Gerald Moore, Joe Tamblyn, George Gribben, Clem Wills, George Repper, Stanley Williams.
Front Row: Russell Berryman, Marshall Roberts, Bill Woolcock, Cecil Langford (MD), Frank Kneebone, Russell Roberts, Charles Chegwyn.
Two pictures of William John Salmon 1911 aged 23, and later mid-1930s, outside his home in Wheal Butson
1933: During the war he was bandmaster of the R.D.C. Military Band at Hayle and had also led St Agnes Band, besides Perranporth Band, of which he was leader at the time of his death. He was founder and conductor of the district …” [Presumably this relates to Harry Robins] (17 August 1933 – Cornishman)
1933/34: St Agnes Town Band contesting under George Cave. (Contest archive)
1934: “St Agnes Town Band, under Mr F C Langford. (28 August 1934 – Western Morning News)
1930s: St Agnes Town Band contesting under T G Langford. (Contest archive)
1930s: St Agnes Town Band kitted out with second-hand ex-military uniforms of red tops and navy-blue trousers.
Reference here to St Agnes Orchestra
1937: “By the death of Mr Joseph Pope … on Sunday, St Agnes has lost one of its oldest and best-known residents … He was a great lover of both vocal and instrumental music, and a keen supporter of St Agnes Town Band, serving on the committee for many years. Until he became over 80 years of age he regularly attended the West of England Bandsmen’s Festival at Bugle and other contests. (West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser, 25th March 1937).
1937 – 12th May: St Agnes Town Band led a procession to Goonown Playing Field where sports were held as part of the celebrations for the coronation of George VI. (St Agnes – A Millennium Chronicle)
As part of his duties Fred Epplett of St Agnes Silver Band also played the triangle. Not the most active part and on one occasion he had to rest for 99 bars before playing his solo – a single note. Unfortunately, there was only silence. Later the conductor asked, “What happened Fred, did you miscount?” “No,” said Fred, “I missed the bleddy triangle!”
1939: A parade headed by Indian Queens and St Agnes Silver Bands, under Bandmasters Ford Knight and F C Langford. (17 August 1939 – West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser)
St Agnes Silver Band at St Agnes Carnival on the 12th August 1939.
The youngster on the left at the back is Ken White who was dragged in for his first band photograph.
Back Row: Ken White, Frank Roberts, John Sandercock, Tom Keast, Ron Jeffery, Ron Luke, Bill Cheshire, Richie Sandercock.
Middle Row: Frank Moore, Fred Penticost, George Gribben, Richard Grigg, Clem Wills, Victor Trezise, Joe Tamblyn
Front Row: Fred Epplett, Charles Chegwyn, George Repper, Russell Berryman, Cecil Langford (MD), Alfred Solomon, Gerald Moore, Bill Sandercock
1940: St Agnes Silver Band, under Mr. C. Langford… (1 August 1940 – Cornishman)
1940: Indian Queens and St Agnes Silver Bands at Hospital Sunday at St Agnes. (22 August 1940 – Cornishman)
1941: St Agnes Silver Band gave a concert. (5 August 1941 – Western Morning News)
1942: St Agnes Band, under Mr F C Langford. Included the procession were the Home Guard, Army Cadets, Ambulance Division, A.R.P. wardens. (11 August 1942 – Western Morning News)
1943: Home Guard and other organizations paraded the district, headed by Carharrack and St Day and St Agnes Silver Bands. (17 August 1943 – Western Morning News)
Presumably St Agnes Band disbanded or ceased engagements.
1945 circa: St Agnes Town Band re-formed with the band room on the first floor of an old two-storey workshop behind the village square in Churchtown.
St Agnes Silver Band after WWII – before being re-equipped with uniforms
Ken White, Alfie Kneebone and Ronnie Luke
Edward Ely on solo trombone with Frank Moore standing
1945 to 1970: Frank Moore, St Agnes Town Band MD. Mr Moore had been a playing member for many years.
1946: Ladies Committee formed. (Frank Carpenter)
1947/48: Twins, Dorothy “Dot” and Maude Juleff joined St Agnes Town Band and became the Band’s first female members. There was some opposition to lady members. It was not until the late 1940s that the band welcomed female players into its midst and, for some people, the word welcome may have been a tad inappropriate. Frank Moore was very keen to include them but some of the players clearly felt that a female presence would affect their enjoyment or maybe curb their freedom of expression. Even after the first females had been members for a few years a youngster was told by a long serving player, “It’s no place for a girl.”
1949: St Agnes Band Meeting – the Bandmaster of St Agnes Town Band (Mr F C Moore) told the annual meeting of good progress by young players. Membership stood at 24 with three probationers. Mr C Chegwyn (hon. treasurer) reported a credit balance of over £84. (10 February 1949 – Cornishman)
1949 to 1970: St Agnes Town Band contesting under Frank Moore. (Contest archive)
St Agnes Town Band 1949, awaiting new uniforms
Back row: Alfie Kneebone, Clifford Bolitho, Frank Roberts, Tony Williams, Tony Oliver, Ken White, and Ronnie Matthews.
Middle row: Austin Tremain, Cecil Tremain, Raymond Gribben, Reggie Leach, Ronald Williams, Maude Juleff,
Bernard Gribben, Dot Juleff, Desmond Russell, Carlos Robins.
Front row: Russell Berryman, Clifford Williams, Gerald Willcocks, Frank Moore (MD), Edward Ely, Frank Kneebone, Charlie Chegwyn.
1949: St Agnes Town Band kitted out with new dark blue uniforms.
Charlie Chegwyn was Treasurer for many years and when Ron Matthews was appointed his assistant for a year before taking over the role, he found that there was just £3 in the account. He also discovered that the books were in a bit of a state and that Charlie had been contributing his own money to keep the band solvent.
1950: Charles Chegwyn, aged 81, of Churchtown, St Agnes, joined in 1908 and was still a playing member. (5 January 1950 – Cornishman)
1950: Mr M P Radcliffe resigned the presidency of St Agnes Town Band. (9 February 1950 – Cornishman)
1950: St Agnes Town Band at Carnival Week. (27 July 1950 – Cornishman)
St Agnes Band in new uniforms 1950/1951
Back row: Alfie Kneebone, Clifford Bolitho, Frank Roberts, Ronnie Luke, Tony Williams, Tony Oliver, Ronnie Matthews, Ken White, Desmond Russell.
Middle Row: Cecil Tremain, Raymond Gribben, Reg Leach, Ronald Williams, Maud Juleff, Bernard Gribben, Austin Tremain, Dot Juleff.
Front Row: Russell Berryman, Clifford Williams, Gerald Willcocks, Frank Moore (MD), Maurice Bizley (President), Edward Ely,
Frank Kneebone, Victor Trezise, Charles Chegwyn.
1950: “St Agnes Band have received new uniforms. Mr C Chegwyn, aged 80, gets his fifth.” (24 August 1950 – Cornishman)
St Agnes Town Band in concert at Peterville 1950/51 (Photo: courtesy Clive Benney collection)
Marching through Peterville early 1950s
St Agnes Band at its Torchlight Carnival in 1952/53
1952: St Agnes Band broadcast the musical interlude for the BBC Programme The Future of St Agnes.
1952: Victor Trezise resigned through ill health having been a member for 44 years. (Frank Carpenter)
1952: Mr M P Radcliffe (President for 17 years) and Captain G H Keast (Vice-President) mage Honorary Life Members. (Frank Carpenter)
1954: St Agnes Band purchased a new bass and side drum.
1954: St Agnes Town Band invited to become a Territorial Army Band but in consideration of female members and ex-military men who didn’t want to re-join, the members declined.
1955: The Revd G H Barnicoat banned Sunday night concerts in the Church Hall because he considered they were preventing people from attending church.
1955: “… at the second annual brass band contest staged by Camborne Town Band at Rosewarne on Saturday… Notable success was also obtained by St Agnes Silver Band under Mr F E Moore who were only two points behind Truro. One of the St Agnes cornetists, 21 year-old Mr C Bolitho, was awarded the special for the second best player in the second section.” (West Briton Argus 15th September 1980 “25 years ago”)
1955: St Agnes Town Band placed 2nd at West of England Regional Championships under Frank Moore (Third section – current 2nd section) playing Crown Cavalcade. This qualified them for the finals National Brass Band Championships of GB finals.
1955: “When St Agnes Town Silver Band qualified at Exeter last month, to compete for the first time, at the autumn National Third Section final, among its members was 86-year-old bass player Mr Charles Chegwyn of Churchtown. A bandsmen for 73 years – and still playing.” (Cornish Guardian 16th June 1955)
Catherine Southwell and Charlie Chegwyn – the youngest and oldest members
St Agnes Town Band circa 1955
Back row: Alfie Kneebone, Clifford Bolitho, Ronnie Luke, Tony Williams, Desmond Russell, Roy Marsh, Ken White, Courtney Berryman, Alfie Woolcock, Catherine Southwell,
Middle row: Bill Southwell, Lewis Ely (VP), David Boundy, Bernard Gribben, Ronnie Matthews, Desmond Moore, Tony Oliver, Ronald Williams, Austin Tremain, H Stowell (VP), Percy Cheesley
Front row: Charles Chegwyn, Cecil Tremain, S Matthews, Maurice Bizley (President), Frank Moore (Musical Director), Edward Ely, Reggie Leach, John Gribble, Ernest Robinson
1955: A 1957 report in 1957 by Frank Carpenter states that Charles Chegwyn, who was 89 years old, had given 48 years service to St Agnes Silver Band and had retired in this year.
1955: St Agnes Town Band withdrew from National Brass Band Championships of GB finals because of the cost involved.
St Agnes Silver Band playing at a Pilgrimage to St Piran’s Oratory in July 1955 (Photo: E G Bayly courtesy Eileen Carter, Perranporth)
St Agnes Town Band leading the Civic Parade in 1956 (Photo: Ken Young)
1958: St Agnes Town Band 50th anniversary dinner at the Porthvean Hotel, St Agnes.
1959: Work began on partially demolishing the band room and re-building it as as single storey.
All things come to an end and Charlies playing days ended in the late 1950s – he’d been a member for over 50 years
Charles Chegwyn and Matt Radcliffe – two great servants of the band
David Bunney and Phillip Hore – two members who were selected to play in the National Youth Brass Band of Great Britain
Back row: Tony Williams (out of uniform) and Ken White (having a breather)
Next row: Roy Marsh on flugel, Alfie Woolcock (in typically casual fashion), Susan Chaplin
Denzil Lobb, John Harris, David Harris in short trousers with drummer Percy Cheesley (in glasses)
St Agnes Town Band at Mithian tea treat
Flora Dance St Agnes 1960s (Photo: Ken Young)
1963: St Agnes Town Band replaced all instruments with a new set of low-pitched.
1963: St Agnes Town Band kitted out with new two-tone blue uniforms.
1964: St Agnes Town Band revived the village carnival with the idea and the organisation by player, Colin Butson.
Flora Dance St Agnes style 1960s (Photo: Ken Young)
Back row: Alfie Kneebone, Roy Marsh, Desmond Russell, Alfie Woolcock, Frank Roberts
Fourth row: John Harris, David Harris, Wendy Stephens, Colin Evans
Third row: Margaret Baker, Tony Mansell, Percy Cheesley, Desmond Moore
Second row: David Boundy, Ronnie Matthews, unknown, David Moore
Front row: Edward Ely, David Bunney, Colin Butson, Robert Johnson
Leaving the Epiphany Home 1960s (Photo: Ken Young)
St Agnes Town Band 1965 (Photo: Ken Young)
Back row: Ann Carveth, Alfie Kneebone, Ken White, John Harris, Roy Marsh, David Harris, Denzil Lobb, Diane Chapman
Middle row: Lewis Ely (Vice President), Margaret Baker, Steve Barrett, Ronnie Matthews, Courtney Berryman Tony Mansell Trevor Stephens
Jonathan Hore, Thelma Allen, Robert Kitchen, Percy Cheesley, E. Whitford
Front row: Clifford Williams, Colin Butson Ralph Stephens (Chairman), Frank Moore (MD), Major W. V. Watton (President), Edward Ely, Derek Ely, Eric Lobb, David Bunney.
1967: “Four of the original members (of St Agnes Band) are alive. One, Mr. Alfred E. Solomon lives at St. Agnes and continues to take an interest in the band. The others are Mr. Herbert E. Wills (Newquay), Mr. Edgar Jones (Falmouth) and Mr. James Luke (Penzance).” (West Briton 1967)
1967 to 1969: St Agnes Town Band contesting in the Championship Section at Bugle – the most successful period in the Band’s history. (Contest archive)
1968 – 16th March: St Agnes Town Band and St Dennis Band took part in the Thomas Merritt commemoration concert at Truro Cathedral under Sir Malcolm Arnold.
1969: St Agnes Town Band placed 1st in the CBBA Championship section under Frank Moore. (Contest archive)
Frank Moore receiving the winner’s trophy in 1969
1970 to 1972: Edward Ely St Agnes Town Band MD.
Edward Ely leading the Band in St Agnes Carnival (Photo: Green Lane Studios)
1972: Frank Moore, St Agnes Town Band temporary MD.
1974: Graham Hall, St Agnes Town Band MD
????: Stanley Penhaligon and Derek Spedding, St Agnes Town Band MDs at some time.
Frank Moore with the Gorsedh Kernow Trophy in 1976
Following his retirement as Musical Director, Frank Moore received the Gorsedd award for services to Cornish Music and in recognition of his outstanding service to St Agnes Silver Band he was made an honorary life member. He died in August 1979 after a short illness; he was 71. The newspaper report referred to him as, “One of Cornwall’s best known brass bandsmen.” It went on to say, “Under his baton, the band made consistent progress up to first-class status in competition festivals.” He had also conducted Truro School Band, been a brass teacher for the Cornwall County Education Committee and tutor and Secretary of the Cornwall Youth Band.
Mr Henry Mills, retired county music adviser, commented, “With his passing, Cornwall has lost one of those irreplaceable people to whom banding owes a great deal. He has done more for brass bands in general, and young players in particular, than anyone else in the county. He was a teacher par excellence, and many of our older players who have now moved all over England owe their prowess to him. He will be sadly missed.” A fitting tribute to a man who had devoted a huge part of his life to the brass band movement.
1977 to 1978: Colin Hoare, St Agnes Town Band MD.
1970s: St Agnes Town Band kitted out with new mustard coloured uniforms.
1977 – 5th June: St Agnes Silver Band led a civic parade from Trelawny Road car park, around the village, to the chapel as part of the Queen’s Silver Jubilee celebrations. (St Agnes – A Millennium Chronicle)
St Agnes Silver Band 1978/79 under Colin Hoare (Photo unknown)
1978: Eleven-year-old David Townsend receiving the first place cup for the Band’s performance, under Colin Hoare, at the CBBA Contest
1980 to 1981: Keith Anderson, St Agnes Town Band MD
St Agnes Silver Band 1980 (Photo: Ken Young)
Back row: John Riv, Mark Westcott, David Barker, Stephen White, Ronnie Matthews, John Wilton, David Townsend, Derek Wilton,
Colin Butson, Ross Trebilcock, Trevor Stephens, Stephen Chapman and Shane Wills.
Middle row: David Olds (future MD), Ian Jones, Alfie Kneebone, Dougie Blackburn, Keith Anderson (MD) Mr Hoare, Bill Cheshire,
David Harris, Ken White and Jonathan Hore.
Front row: Mark James, Kevin Lean, Heather Wilton, David Wilton, Kevin Nankivell, Andrew Williams and Claire Palmer.
1981 to 1982: Maurice Dunstan, St Agnes Town Band MD.
1982: Edgar Floyd, St Agnes Town Band MD.
1984: Band room extended.
1986 to circa 1988: Gerry Herbert, St Agnes Town Band MD.
1988: St Agnes Silver – unknown result (Othello) in the Fourth Section at the SWBBA Contest under S G Herbert.
1988 circa to 1989: Stephen White, St Agnes Town Band MD.
1989: David Olds, St Agnes Town Band temporary MD.
David Olds, St Agnes Silver Band MD from 1989
1990: David Olds, St Agnes Town Band MD.
The band of 1990 in yet another Flora Dance
1991: St Agnes Youth placed 3rd in the Junior section of the 45th SWBBA Championships at Paignton on the 2nd November under David Olds. (British Bandsman 9th November 1991)
1995: St Agnes Silver unplaced (Mexican Fiesta) in the Fourth Section of the SWBBA Contest under David Olds.
1996: St Agnes Silver unplaced (West Sou’west) in the Fourth Section of the SWBBA Contest under David Olds.
1996: St Agnes Silver unplaced (Northumbrian Suite) in the Fourth Section of the SWBBA Contest under David Olds.
1998: St Agnes Silver Band purchased new instruments.
(British Bandsman 11th July 1998)
St Agnes Silver Band 1998 under David Olds
1998: St Agnes Silver – unknown result (First Suite in Eb) in the Fourth Section of the SWBBA Contest under David Olds.
Late 1990s (Photo: courtesy Clive Benney)
2000: St Agnes Silver Band kitted out with new burgundy and black uniforms.
2003: The book “St Agnes and its Band” written by Tony Mansell.
The current St Agnes Silver Band had been formed in 1907 and to celebrate this there were two major events, both with the theme of past, present and future.
During its long history the Band had made a huge contribution to the parish by entertaining its audiences and by providing its young people with a healthy pastime. Many fine musicians owe a debt of gratitude to the organisation where they spent their formative years practising their art.
Buffet Supper – 23rd of November 2007.
The reunion was held at the Driftwood Spars when the stories of times past would have filled a book. The large display of band photographs spanning the 100 years attracted a lot of interest as people scanned the groups for shots of themselves and their contempories. There was a tremendous atmosphere and the talk hardly subsided at all when the food arrived. There were many players there from the 1940s and 1950s – too many to mention them all here. The ghost of Frank Moore, the Band’s longest serving Musical Director, still lingers in the band room and it was appropriate that his son, David Moore, had travelled down for the event. There was appreciation that the Band continued to thrive and there was also acknowledgement that this was largely due to one man – Musical Director David Olds whose dedication ensures the continuance of this organisation which entertains its audiences and provides healthy involvement for so many players. The formula for the evening was simply and disguised the fact that a lot of hard work had been undertaken to bring the event to fruition – mostly by Band Secretary Anne Courts. It was appropriate and deserving that this was recognized when, at the concert, she was presented with a large bunch of flowers from the ex-members.
Reunion Concert – 8th December 2007 at 7.30pm – at St Agnes Methodist Church. “As the sound of the Floral Dance died away there was awareness amongst the players that they had been involved in something a bit special. That most Cornish of tunes had ended the St Agnes Silver Band centenary celebrations and there was no doubt that the members from across the 100 years would have approved. The concert in St Agnes Chapel involved three bands and a soloist so it was good value for money in a setting acoustically suited to producing music. The contribution by the current band included a superb rendition of the Saddleworth Festival Overture, the test piece at the Cornwall Brass Band Association Contest at Truro that year when St Agnes Silver Band won its section. During each part of the concert Kirsty Rowe moved from her place in the tenor horn section to centre stage where she displayed her considerable singing talents. She had returned home from college where she was studying music. Her contribution to the evening was a delight as was the superb playing of her accompanist Clive Ellison – another band member. Then it was time for the youngsters to take the stage and Musical Director David Olds delighted the audience when he conducted the Training Band for three items including John Brown’s Body. A break then to give everyone a rest, a cup of tea and some food kindly donated by Doble Ltd of St Agnes. Between bites there was time to swap stories from the past and the only problem seemed to be to move the audience and players back upstairs for the remainder of the concert. Then came the moment of pure nostalgia when the current band returned to the stage but this time augmented by players from the past. Some of the ‘oldies’ were still playing with other bands but for one player 36 years had elapsed since he last played in a concert and the few weeks of intensive rehearsal was barely sufficient and brought the comment, “Give me another month and I should be ready”. It was an enjoyable experience for those taking part as the years rolled away, back to a time when this was a regular part of their life. Thanks was given to Musical Director David Olds for leading the concert and for his patience in moulding the hybrid band together. Thanks were also due to ‘Mr Brass Band’, the inimitable Phillip Hunt, who brought the evening to life with his entertaining chairmanship. His comments were appropriate and well received especially when he said, ‘I’ve been asked to talk for five minutes between each piece – to give the old players time to catch their breath’.” Thanks Phillip!!
The centenary celebrations in 2008
2017 – 18th November: Celebration evening at St Agnes Sports and Social Club to celebrate David Olds 50 years with St Agnes Silver Band.
David Olds, St Agnes Silver Band’s longest serving MD.
St Agnes Silver Band at the annual St Agnes Victorian Fayre (Photo: Band Facebook page)
Compiled by Tony Mansell (Bardh Kernow)
This collection is a part of the Cornish National Music Archive (CNMA) project to Collect, Preserve and Share our Cornish Heritage and Culture.
It is based on location as each may have had more than one band.
Our thanks go to all the organisations and individuals, whether named or not, who have provided information and photographs for this archive.
If you own the copyright to any of the photographs included here then please let us know and they will be credited or removed.
If you can correct or update any information included here then please leave a comment.